• Slide-0
  • Slide-1
bootstrap slider by WOWSlider.com v8.0

Welcome to Jasper, Florida
Set in the North Florida lowlands 83 miles west of Jacksonville, 90 miles east of Tallahassee, 35 miles south of Valdosta Georgia, 32 miles north of Lake City, the town was founded close to supplies but far enough away to retain some independence and solitude. Jasper is believed to rest on land originally thought to be the site of Miccosukee Indians, a sub tribe of the Seminole nation. The 1823 Treaty of Moultrie bought the Indian lands and the population was required to move east of the Suwannee River. This allowed settlers to move into the area. A suspected Indian burial mound is located at Baisden Swamp just on the outskirts of Jasper. Six miles north of Jasper along the Alapaha River an established Indian village called Halato Micco once stood, suggesting the type of Indian inhabiting the area where artifacts of pottery, spear points, and arrowheads are often found.

During the Second Seminole War (1835-42) pioneers throughout Hamilton County began assembling into a frontier village for mutual protection against Indian raids. By the end of the war, they were referring to their little clearing in the wilderness as ‘Jasper’ in honor of the Sergeant William Jasper, one of the best known ‘Southern’ heroes of the Revolutionary War.